- This event has passed.
Regulation of Online Harms
January 30 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
How can we protect people from online hate? To do so requires a balancing act between regulation to curb the harm and protections for freedom of expression and privacy. Join us to hear from Nick Boyce, an expert in international relations and security policies currently working in tech as a trust and safety professional. He’ll talk about solution scaling, regulatory regimes, and the potentials for automated AI solutions. In particular, this presentation will cover:
- Overview of current and emerging regulatory landscape
- Obligations on platforms and ISPs to remove content
- Legal (and moral) culpability of individual users posting harmful content
- Communications offences for individuals (as set out in UK Online Safety Bill)
- Purpose of criminal justice system and resource constraints for prosecutorial services
- Balancing act between accountability and freedom of expression/anonymity
The event will take place on Microsoft Teams from 1:00pm to 2:00pm on Tuesday, January 30. Join here or with meeting id: 295 016 817 851 and passcode: zPcNLN !